Thursday, January 29, 2009

One Really Rough Weekend!

Ok, so last week was rough. Really rough. It was one of those weekends where Travis was excited to go back to work on Monday. It all started on Saturday morning, Lincoln woke up with a really scratchy voice. He sounded like Travis does when he gets home from a Jazz game. Anyway, I had to work so I left and Travis hung out with Lincoln all day. Well, apparently Lincoln started getting worse, and wheezy so Travis took him to the Kidscare. Three hours, a chest x-ray, and a wrong prescription later they sent Travis and Lincoln home with a nebulizer. We had tickets to the Jazz game that night, so I stayed home with Lincoln, and Travis went with his dad. I gave Lincoln a breathing treatment, and it just didn't seem to help. His breathing started to get worse and worse and I didn't know what to do. I started calling Travis, my brother, and my mom because I was so worried and didn't know if I should take him to the hospital or what. Nobody would answer their phones and I officially started freaking out. Finally, he got so he could barely breathe and his nose started bleeding. That was sign enough for me. I got his blankie and we started heading to the hospital. On our way I looked back at Lincoln and his head was tilted back, his eyes were rolled back, his face was pure white and I couldn't hear him breathing anymore. I called 911 hysterical telling them that my little boy wasn't breathing. The lady told me to pull over and feel his pulse. As soon as I touched his neck he kind of woke up and started breathing again. I sped to the emergency room and they rushed him in to help him breath again. I finally got a hold of Travis and he left the Jazz game early. We spent the night at the hospital. Little Lincoln was a trooper! We are so grateful that everything worked out. It turns out he had a bad case of Croup. He had RSV when he was 4 or 5 months old and ever since every little sickness or cold hits him really hard. I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life! I am officially a mom! I had more than one person tell me over the weekend "welcome to parenthood". Sometimes parenthood is really hard!

20 comments:

Tanada said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Nothing is scarier than when your child is really sick. We love you guys and are so glad that Lincoln is ok. Hang in there, parenthood only gets worse and scarier (so I'm told, I'm about where you are).

Anonymous said...

Margie---i had a lump in my throat while reading this---I couldn't read fast enough to see what happened.....wow! what a WEEKEND!
I would have freaked out like you!!!! Im so glad he is better tho--:( poor little guy!

Thanks for sharing!

{C}lique Photography said...

Oh my gosh, Way scary! I was scared to death reading it and couldn't wait to get to the end just hoping for some good news! And I'm GLAD it came!!

They are so precious!! I'm so HAPPY it all worked out and he's doing great!

Mom+Girls said...

I am just crying!!! poor you and poor little baby!!! I hop ehe is better, you are the best mom ever, I cant imagen my self in that situation!!!
You are a good mom!

Erin said...

I'm so glad he's okay. The moment they are born, you just feel the need to protect them and love them more than anything else. These little people are so dependent on you for everything. You were much calmer and logical than I would have been.

Ehlers Family said...

Oh my goodness. Im so glad to hear everything is fine.. That is way scary! :( I Know i will probably experience stuff like that but I dont want to haha! Im so so glad everything turned out ok.

fergusonfam said...

I can't even imagine. You are such a great mom. I'm so sorry that you all had to go through that. I am convinced that watching your kids hurt is the worst thing in the entire world. Let me know if you need anything.

Chris and Brooklyn said...

We are so glad he is doing better! I'm nervous for my turn...

Kristin Sokol said...

okay I am crying too. I can't imagine. I can't handle that kind of crap. I would have just pulled over and cryed. YOu poor poor thing. SO sorry that happend to you two.

Kristin Sokol said...

I also just wanted to add that you did everything just right and I think you are a superstar mom. Way to keep it together and live through it.

Tanada said...

You are a great mom Margie. I hope my post didn't suggest anything other than how perfect you were in that difficult situation. I never know what to say when I hear about something that makes me want to cry. I'm sorry if my words don't come out right.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't even know what to say. I was reading outloud to jed and when you started describing the car scene I read silently so I could read faster and Jed was like hello Nanc! I just can't believe that. That is scary and I fear for that "parenthood" day to come for me. It looks like you handled things very well marg.

Chris and Brooklyn said...

Hey! When do you find out what you are having? I feel so out of the loop, I am stuck at home with Macie! How is the pregnancy so far?

treehugger said...

Holy cow Margie, I woulda been frieked out too. I'm glad it turned out okay. Congrats on the pregnancy. I was so excited to hear that.

Erika and Kevin said...

Margie that is so scary! my little Ethan gets croup all the time! Once we start hearing that crappy breathing, we just take him right in! I hate croup! it is the worst! I am glad he is doing better now!

Jill said...

I don't blame you for freaking out! That is really scary. It sounds like you did everything right though. Good job Margie! I'm glad he is doing better now!

jEsSiCa said...

So, I'm so sorry I haven't checked in forever! And then I do and this is what I read! I'm so sorry I didn't know:( You are so great! And, poor little Lincoln - I'm so glad that story ended well! I cannot imagine.... I had a scare with Hunter but not like that... Way to go mommy!

Candace Thomas said...

Poor Lincoln (and poor mommy)! I don't even know what to say...except you are a great mom, I am glad he is okay, and isn't crazy what mom's go through? I seriously was on the verge of a heart attack every day Jake was in the hospital. Let me know if there is anything I can do! I am glad I found ya and we better keep in touch.

The Wood Family said...

Wow Marg... I'm so glad he's okay now. You seem like such an incredible Mom! And can I tell you how pretty you are?? :)
Love,
Steph (Schmutz)

Angie Orison said...

I can't believe that happened!! You never even mentioned anything! I am so sorry for him, I hope you guys wont have to go through that again! Let me know if you ever need anything!!!